Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Grandmother's Tribute

Amy's mother, Charlotte, wrote a touching tribute to Emma, as she had done for Josh. It is really beautiful, and I wanted to share it with you...


My mother wrote a warming tribute for Joshua, and she has also done one for Emma. I wanted to share it with everyone, because she says all the things that I cannot and the things that i have forgotten to.

Emma Grace McKinney
November 9, 2008 - November 23, 2008

Emma Grace McKinney was a beautiful child. For one of her ultrasound pictures, the nurses got the most beautiful picture of her. It made me stare in amazement because her little face was so beautiful and perfect. I know that I am prejudiced, being her grandmother, but I noticed that other people had the same reaction when they saw it! There is an old timey saying, " Beautiful is as beautiful does," and I believe that Emma exemplified this in her short but shining life with us.
While Emma was in her mom's womb, she found herself in the lower position. And she was very content to spend her time nestled there, except when she was playing with her little brother or kicking her mom. When time came to get heartbeats or other ultrasounds, she was always willing to share her information with the technicians. They could always pick up her strong little heart beat easily. Once they had a hard time finding Josh's and then realized that she was laying right next to him. Their little hearts were in perfect sync.
Emma continued to bless her parents and brother with her grace. Her birth was much easier for her and she seemed to do quite well for a long time. She appeared peaceful and cheerful in her new surroundings. At the same time, she definitely knew what she liked and didn't like, and would let the nursing staff at both hospitals know right away that they should just leave her alone and all would be just fine. Emma Grace gained six ounces over the course of two weeks. She even got to dine on some of her mom's milk!
Emma loved her little brother very much. When Josh became ill and was moved to Brenner's, Emma began to show some signs of distress. When they moved her next to him, she began to thrive again. She, too, had a major surgery but she came through it with flying colors. The doctors even gave her parents better than a 50-50 chance that she could come home. But the link between Emma and Josh was too strong. (The doctor told Amy that this all too often happens with twins.) After Josh left, Emma began to go down hill for no apparent reason. She did manage to open her little blue eyes on that last afternoon so that she could see her parents' beautiful faces. The doctos have no real idea what happened with Emma . There was no apparent physical cause. They said that it just "happened a lot with babies so tiny."
I believe that Emma just loved her brother so much ans was in such perfect sync with him that she knew what she had to do. And God agreed that it was the right thing to do. For doesn't the Bible tell us that to give up our life for another is the greatest reward that we can receive in Heaven? I believe so fully that Emma and Josh were not just little tiny babies but such incredibly wise and caring and loving people that we can never truly understand it all, and we won't until we too are in Heaven.
It is incredibly precious and sweet for me to know that Emma and Josh are both together and will never experience the great sadnesses that we do here on Earth. For there is no sadness in Heaven, nor sickness, nor poverty, nor disease nor death. So many of us felt anger at her passing, and such great sadness, but I know that Emma is now wanting to share her grace and great love for us now and in the years to come. She and Josh will always be in our hearts. I know that they both know this. And they both know what truly loving parents they both had in Amy and Ryan. Bless you Emma, for your sweet grace and example of the ultimate unselfishness for all our lives.

More from Amy...
I recieved a poem today from a friend at work and it gave me a little peace with the situation at hand. Though I know, it will be a long time until I can deal with the loss of my two perfect babies,
I feel like God gave her this to give to me.

I'll lend you for a little time, a child of mine, He said. For you to love while she lives, and mourn when she is dead.
It may be six or seven years, or twenty-two or three. But will you, till I call for her back, take care of her for me?
She'll bring her charms to gladden you, and shall her stay be brief, you'll have her lovely memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay, since all from earth return. But there are lessons taught down there I want this child to learn.


I've looked the wide world over in my search for teachers true and from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.
Now will you give her all your love, nor think the labor vain, nor hate me when I come to call, to take her back again?
I fancied that I heard them say, Dear Lord, Thy will be done. For all the joy thy child shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter her with tenderness, we'll love her while we may; and for the happiness we've known, we'll ever grateful stay.
But shall the angels call for her much sooner than we planned, we'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand.
Author Unknown

No comments: