Friday, January 9, 2009

It's a Sad Day...

when you have to make the decision that your almost three-year-old will no longer be taking naps. I know, I know, I have your sympathy... I'm going to need it!

You know of Jackson's sleeping issues that appeared several months ago... the waking up in the middle of the night, the waking up at 5am or earlier every morning, etc.

We discovered while we were in Florida that the days he didn't take a nap, he was asking to go to bed at bedtime and was sleeping untl roughly 7am. So we made the decision that his napping days are over. The last couple hours of the day he is pretty ornery, but its the price I'm willing to pay.

We have had some interesting days since Tuesday. On Wednesday we had to go to the bank to make some deposits just through the drive-through. Jackson loves to get in car and go anywhere, so he was excited to go. It was around 2:00 in the afternoon and because of the whole no napping thing, he was literally asleep in his carseat before we got out of the driveway. He slept the whole time we were gone (which was only about 30 min.) and when we got home and he woke up, he kept begging me, "nease, mama, nease" to go to the bank. He didn't think we had gone anywhere, and he was very sad. Yesterday, he told me he was going to his room to play with his cars, but when I went to check on him, he had crawled into his bed and was asleep... shoes on and all. When he came out I asked him if he had taken a nap and he said, "no, mama." In the tone of voice as if to say, "no, dummy, why would I take a nap, those are for babies."

And guess what... last night was miserable at bedtime, and he was before 6:00 this morning. So, today was a long day but he was ready for bed tonight. Maybe this is just a phase, but I doubt it. I think my days of having both my kids asleep at the same time for a couple hours a day is OVER.

You can all feel bad for now... I feel bad for myself!

This was the day we left for Florida. He was so excited for our trip that he wouldn't take a nap... but he fell fast asleep on the couch just before we had to leave.

No comments: