Thursday, January 31, 2008

Gotta' Love Oprah!

Before I quit work I used to laugh inside at those people that watched Oprah, and didn't just watch Oprah, but LOVED Oprah...

Well, I have a confession to make... I have been sucked in, and I must admit, I love her!!! If I am at home, I take the time to watch her, and if I'm not at home, but it looks like a show I would enjoy, I actually record it. I know its hard to believe, but its true.

I mention this because as I sat watching Oprah today, I cried like a baby. I was interested to watch because the preview showed the story of the Buffalo Bills player, Kevin Everett, who became paralyzed after a hit in a game in September. Well, just 5 months later, after being given a 10% chance of ever walking again, he is walking, well. Well, this story was just the start... they were calling the show, A Day of Miracles, and the next story got me.

Before I start, let me just say that I think being an organ donor is a very important thing. I have always known that if I were to die unexpectedly, I would without question give it to anybody I could help. We can't take it with us... why not help someone live a better life here when we are gone.

Back in March, Jason Ray, the mascot for the Carolina Basketball team (go Heels!) was hit by a car in New Jersey just before a game. He had told his mother when he had gotten his Drivers' License that he wanted to be an organ donor, which she didn't neccesarily agree with. When he passed away, his parents made the decision to donate his organs because it was what he would have wanted. The show then cut to those people that had been saved by receiving his organs... a 57 yeat old man that got his heart, a 40 year old man that got a kidney and his pancreas, and a 15 year old that got his other kidney. Then they had them all on the show... reuniting all those people that had been affected by this 21 year old's life and death. There was one cute part. During the interview of the man that received his heart, he said that his surgeon had come in and told him that he had gotten him the best heart he could find... and that he might want to think about becoming a Carolina fan! :)

So, thank you, Oprah, for giving me a good cry today! It doesn't take much, and today I was toast.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

I love it ... and with a great story like that ...even I ( NOT a Carolina fan) might say "Go Heels" to that!
~Wendi