Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Couple things...

I realized something today... running errands that should be easy are impossible with children. Its not that I never noticed this before, it just has come more to my attention in the last couple weeks as Jackson becomes more and more unable to control himself in public. It also has become more evident recently beacause I actually have to bring Jackson everywhere. Until September, Cameron worked second shift which meant he was home in the morning until almost noon. Which also meant that Jackson stayed with him while I ran the days errands... those were the days. I have discovered that going to the post office has become my least favorite chore, and here's why...

  • no matter which post office I go to, no matter what time of day, everyone that lives in High Point and all surrounding areas are also there
  • standing in line with a small child (who is literally pained to have to sand still) is torture

  • Other adults seeing said child think a) crazy kid or b) bad mom and somehow think that they can control him even though I, the actual mom, can't
A couple of weeks ago, on my first trip to the post with Jackson, I brought him in just holding my hand...BIG MISTAKE. The second we get in he wants to run around, or scream if I don't let him. Those of you who know me well, know that such situations cause me to almost have anxiety attacks. (example; when I get on an airplane with Jackson by myself, I take a Zanax just because there is the possibility that he will be fussy). During this visit to the post office, I could hear others around me..."Oh, that poor girl"... "she sure has her hands full"... and other such remarks, which I hate because Jackson really is so well behaved and such a good, good boy that I don't want anyone thinking anything less of him or me.

This week, having already made two seperate trips to the post office, Jackson was in a stroller which kept him from running around or throwing himself on the floor when I don't allow him to run around, but didn't keep him from being any less upset about the fact that he can't run around. I think that the main problem is that Jackson is so friendly and loves everyone and will one day be kidnapped willingly. The other problem is that the only time he is ever still is if he is asleep. The other week at church, his nursery leader said to me, "Jackson is so fun and so sweet,but... is he ever still"? NO!!!



my sweet, busy boy!

Thanks to my sattelite and DVR, (which, unfortunately, I could not live without) I watch alot of TV. The range of things I watch is actually quite impressive. Everything from funny sitcoms, nighttime dramas, ESPN, reality shows, daytime talk shows, Food network, HGTV, playhouse Disney, and the movie, Cars. Just so I don't sound like a waste of space, as long as Jackson is awake, I don't really watch much of anything. Tonight, though, Cameron was making fun of me for the shows I had on the DVR, and its true... I am a 26 year old teeny bopper. There is a handful of shows that I must record and actually watch, and if I miss one of them, I am truly upset...such shows are...

One Tree Hill, America's Next Top Model, The Hills, The Real World, Gossip Girl (my newest guilty pleasure) plus a few shows on TLC and Food Network which don't put me in the teeny bopper category, but that I can't live without... John & Kate plus Eight, What not to Wear, Little People, Big World, and kind of Real Estate show, and anything with Rachael Ray.

I hope my confessions have given you a glimpse into the every day workings of my life. I typically wouldn'y have gone on such a rant, but it was kind of fun... :)

Jackson watching Cars

4 comments:

Wendi said...

Oh Courtney, I feel your pain. Actually, I am living it! (HA!)

Okay, so why are you at the Post Office so much? I do most of my postage, stamps, mailing packages right from home.( so as to avoid the above mentioned experiences) But, you may have a box or something...(just asking!)

Anyway, I love your selection of tv programming. I don't watch much anymore, but I do try to stay in the know on Grey's Anatomy. I too love What not to wear, and any of the real estate shows, love the Food Network and am a huge fan of Rachael Ray! (BTW... what is the Gossip girl- sounds interesting!)

We should hang out sometime and catch up. In case anyone ever questions what you do... just tell them you live a reality show. Anyone raising "Howard" children knows what I mean!

Love you guys!
Wendi

Brittany said...

Yeah just wait until you have two and you are running errands. We sang Christmas songs for 30 minutes in Target the other day just so Rylan wouldn't bug Kyrah. Needless to say we had applause and asking for oncores!!

Shannon said...

Yeah, I wish people knew how well behaved he really is! I love how you said he'd be willingly kidnapped. Wouldn't be surprised. :)

Kim said...

I'm so glad you started to blog. And you are doing such a great job! I just love keeping track of all my favorite people. Give Jackson a big squeeze for me.

Love and hugs, Auntie Kimmy