Saturday, September 11, 2010

We Remember...


I woke up this morning very mindful of the fact that today was the anniversary of 9/11. I still have a hard time even thinking about that day and the weeks that followed without becoming very emotional.


I had my tonsils out on the early morning of September 11, 2001. My mom still talks about being in the waiting room of the surgery center watching the news with the one other man in the waiting room. Some sort of special alert came on the TV when the first tower had been hit talking about this freak accident in which a plane hit the tower, and as my mom and this man were watching, they saw the second plane fly and crash into the second tower. She siad they were glued to the TV and couldn't even believe what they were seeing.


I remember my mom coming into the recovery room as I was waking up telling me about what had happened. I was so groggy and out of it that I didn't understand, much less comprehend what she was talking about.


As I was at home laying on the couch for the next 2-3 weeks (I do not recommend having your tonsils taken out as an adult - it's horrible) I was enveloped 24 hours a day in the tragedy that was 9/11. I became depressed, as all I saw hour after hour were these horrible images of disaster that I could not take my eyes off of. Once my recovery process was over, I was so touched at the overwhelming abundance of patriotism all around me. Flags were everywhere, everyone loved everyone, no matter our race, religion... we were all Americans, and we were proud!!! How quickly those feelings seemed to fade, but I will tell you that I am proud every single day to be an American, and to be free.


I was a part of a preparedness fair we had today at church, and how happy I was that we started the morning in the chapel with a tribute in remebrance of 9/11. I, of course, was moved to tears as I saw images again that will forever be in my memory, but how proud I was to stand with my hand on my heart and say The Pledge of Allegiance.


I called my mom a couple years ago on July 4th. It was a holiday that we weren't spending together that year for some reason and I old her I was sad that we weren't together on the holiday. She told me that we lived in a free country, so every day was a holiday. I have never forgotten that. I am grateful to her for instilling such a sense of patriotism in me and a gratitude to those that have given their lives so I can live free.


"I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'll gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today
There ain't no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA"


I remember!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO PROUD you are my grandaughter.

Papa

Sawyers Family said...

That was beautiful! I will never forget that day either! Little did those terrorists know, but they bonded us American's together that day!
Oh and it's so fun to see you blogging again!

Grandma Howard said...

I too was raised by very patriatic parents. I wondered if my children were as proud as I am to live in this country. Thank you for teaching your children how wonderful this country is, There is no place on earth like this. I am excited for your new school experience and for Jacksons also. We love you guys so much. keep up the good work. Mom(Grandma Howard)

Dad said...

Well said, honey. Odd that I also watched some of it this year for the first time since that day. Still too disturbing.

I saw all of it as well that day--was unemployed (had an interview with Pepsi that afternoon, bizarre), out getting the car serviced that morning, heard the first on the radio on the way home and saw the rest when I got there.

I had been to the top of both towers in the mid-80s.

Everyone was so kind and considerate to each other for months. Too bad we've lost that.