Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Caroline's Arm

So, about a month ago while vising the zoo (which we do frequently) Caroline severely burned her arm. We were wlaking toward the parking lot after leaving the zoo and the kids (including two friends we had brought) were playing aroung and very interested in one of the golfcart/ATVs that the zoo-workers drive. After repeatedly telling them all to leave it alone, Caroline, of course, ran back to it and fell, catching her arm on the exposed muffler on the back. It wasn't until the screaming that I realized it was still hot and she had burned herself. I was not prepared however, for the way it looked when I got to her. The oly way I can describe it is that simply looked like melted saran wrap or something peeling off her arm. Looking back at it now, I probablt would have run back into the zoo where I'm sure they have a nurse's station or something, but all I could think to do was snatch her up and get her out of there as soon as possible. I poured a bottle of water on it and immediately drove to CVS where I bought burn spray, ointment, and gauze, etc. My teeny girl was such a trooper and has made it through even better than I (and the doctor) expected.

this is a few days after it happened.

a week or two




another week


I took this picture just today. It's just barely pink, and the doctor thinks there won't even be a scar. I'm not sure if it a third degree burn, but it was second degree, atleast. I'm amazed at how good it looks and how she rarely acted as if it even bothered her, My brave girl!!!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Shudder-makes my skin crawl. She's done so well, glad it's almost all better.

worried mom said...

Hi,
I'm so happy that your daughter is doing better after her burn. I know exactly how you felt as a parent when this happened. I know because I found your blog while searching online for burn photos. My 23 month daughter had a VERY similar burn (in the exact same place) about 1 1/2 month ago. Her burn looked exactly like your daughter's in all stages.

I have a question since it seems like more time has passed since the burn. It looks like in the last photo that the burn is slightly lighter than her normal skin color. Has the scar darkened at all since you last posted? My daughter is darker olive complexion and her scar is much more noticeable because of this. I'm worried that it won’t return to her normal skin color.

Thanks in advance

Howard Family said...

Her burn is practically un-noticeable. It stayed lighter than her skin for a little while ( I think just part of the healing and generating new skin), but it has been about a year and a half, and unless I look for it, I can't see it, and unless I point it out, people don't notice it at all. I was worried that in the summertime it wouldn't tan as well as the rest of her (she tans very well and I was afraid it would stay lighter) but it tans all the same. Feel free to ask me anything else, and I hope your daughter is doing better!