Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Trying to be organized...

And STAY organized!!!

With Jackson starting school and me starting school, life is different around here. In an effort to use our time at home more efficiently, and give my kids some responsibility I made some house rules and chore charts. My sister-in-law, Brittany, who puts me to shame when it comes to organization and keeping her house perfectly clean at all times has been my inspiration...
I printed some pictures off the interent for our house rules and laminated it and put it on the fridge nest to our calendar. Every morning we go over the rules and every time someone starts to break one all I say is, "whats our rule" and it nips it in the bud. Now it's only been three days since I made the chart, but it's having the desired effect so far.



I know my kids are young, but they are old enough to understand that there are certain things they can do and need to do. Once again, Brittany made some adorable chore charts that are framed and everything. Mine are just laminated and on the fridge, but the kids love them. Since they can't read, I once again printed pictures off the internet. They love doing their chores and marking them off with a dry-erase marker. his morning Jackson even reminded me that he needed to put away his toys before we left. Who knew?!

Jackson picked a picture from Star Wars to put on his chore chart. His chore are to make his bed, put away his toys, brush his teeth and get dressed. I help him make his bed and I pick out his clothes, but he does the rest. Caroline wanted a baby on her chore chart and her chores are to put away her toys, brush her teeth and get dressed. I have to help her with everything, but she does understand that it needs to be done and she understands that she gets to mark it off when its done.

It has been wonderful to go to bed every night to a clean house, wake up to a clean house and come home to a house that is clean because it was left clean when we walked out the door. I think it will help us all cope better with the changes taking place in our lives if our time at home is more structured. I know it works for me!

4 comments:

Allison said...

What a great idea! I might have to try this with Arden.

Brooke said...

I love it! I think the rules are a great idea

Brittany said...

I just saw all your updates. Wow you have been busy. I think your charts all turned out so cute!! Good luck with school and let me know if you ever need anything. or just want to hang out!!

Dad said...

What fantastic ideas!