Sunday, March 16, 2008

From the mouths of babes...

I had a really wonderful experience today in Primary, and I wanted to share it with you...

My friend, Jennie is the primary chorister and the kids are learing a new song that isn't in the Children's songbook. For the last several years, there has been a new song put out for the yearly Primary program that is not in the songbook. Today, Jennie gave the kids the assignment to listen very closely to the words while they sang, and when they were done, she had them write down how the song made them feel. They sang so beautifully and so reverently, and the the feelings they had about the song were so touching... we felt such a sweet spirit from those kids today. The only downside was after listening to all of this, and sitting in the back of the room crying like a baby, I had to get up and give Sharing time.

"If the Savior Stood Beside Me" by Sally DeFord

If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously?
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

I f the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more reverently?
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

He is always near me though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves dearly, I am in His watchful care.
So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.

I hope that the Savior would be proud of the things I do and say if He were standing near me and watching over me. What a beautiful song, and how precious from the mouths of the sweet children of our Heavenly Father.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Beautiful song.
Maybe you need to teach it to us.
May we all be found thinking,
"What would I do if the Savior stood beside me?"

Brittany said...

Love the song but it reminds me of when I was pregnant with Kyrah and I saw a old man in the parking lot struggling to even walk, let alone push a cart. Another younger man came up to him and helped push his cart with him up to the store doors. I just parked the car and cried. Called Cade and cried all because of the hormones! Dont you LOVE being pregnant?