Wednesday, March 26, 2008

American Idol

I have always been a fan of American Idol... I have always watched it faithfully. Yet this year, for some reason, I have just not had much interest in watching it. I really just had no desire to watch. People who know me know that in the past I have been a huge American Idol follower.

That being said, let me rewind to last Thursday night. I was on the phone with my dad. If you don't know him, he is the biggest music buff you have ever met. He knows everything about every song ever written, every song writer to ever write a song, etc. We were filling each other in about our happenings over the last week or so since the last time we talked...

He says, very nonchalantly, "so, Ive been watching American Idol, and blah, blah, blah" Wait just a second... did I just hear that correctly... MY dad had been watching American Idol. The rest of his sentence just kind of trailed off as I tried to compose enough to be able to respond to his comment. It actually felt pretty good that I got to say, "Dad, I'm not even watching American Idol", and hear him get over the shock that he was watching it and I wasn't.

I told him that I would start watching it once he told me how much he really liked a couple of the performers. So last night, I did it, I watched American Idol. And, as in the past I did enjoy myself. My favorite were David (even though the song was terrible, he's REALLY good) and Carly, who I loved as soon as she started just talking. I knew she was going to be cool. I called my dad this afternoon and asked, "so did you watch American Idol last night?" He said "yes" and I continued to ask him throughout the conversation just so I could keep hearing him say "yes, I watched American Idol." I think its just great and I can't get over it. All the grief I got for years about watching it, how everything about it was what my dad hated about the music business.

Music, sweet music! :)

No comments: