Monday, October 4, 2010

The Cake Disaster

There have been times in making a cake where something has gone wrong... it doesn't quite look the way I want to to, it takes longer than expected, I leave the cakes in the oven too long and have to start over, it starts melting out in the heat, that sort of thing. But, nothing I would call a "disaster."

Well this weekend, it happened...

But before that, things were going great, except of course for Caroline getting my kitchen and herself covered in chocolate cake batter. My aunt Kerry asked me if there was anything she doesn't get into. Ihaven't found anything yet that she hasn't gotten into, but I'll let you know :) She also got the cookie monster I made out of gumpaste and took it apart and smashed it so I had to make a new one. Still, not disasters, all things that were fixable.



Then I made four batches of icing... typical for most cakes.


Dad, is your mouth watering yet?!


Now for the cake... it was another cookie monster cake for a 1-year-old little girl's birthday. I did the cake exactly as her mother wanted, and it turned out soooo cute. Usually when I make a cake, I see many things that I would have done differently, but I was so pleased with how cute this cake was. I got it loaded in the car and was so excited for the mom to see this cake because she was really excited about it, too.



I am getting ready to pull onto their street when a car pulls out in front of me and I have to slam on breaks and swerve slightly. Guess what... the top of the cake fell over, the cookie monster broke, and the dowel that is put in the cake to keep it stable made the bottom tier of the cake split in half when the top tier fell off. I was freaking out. What was I supposed to do? I couldn't turn around and go back home. I go up to their door crying, explaing what happened and they are so laid back and wonderful and tell me that I'll be able to fix it and everything will be fine. Thank goodness they are literally the most laid back, go with the flow people I know becuase if someone showed up at my 1-year-old's birthday party with the cake I showed up with I would have been freaking out.

Cameron brought me may cake stuff and I stood at their kitchen counter piecing this cake back together. By the time I was down, they were more than pleased (although I was mortified by how it looked) and told me they couldn't even tell there had been a problem. They were probably lying, but I left feeling better than when I showed up.


So I feel like I have experienced a cake disaster and hope I never experience another one like that!

2 comments:

Sawyers Family said...

How traumatic! I would have felt just like you did. Glad they didn't really care! I guess it does get eaten in the end!

Brooke said...

oh my goodness, yes, how terrible! But that cake is so dang cute! I agree completely!