Friday, September 19, 2008

My Caroline

I wanted to post some pictures from Caroline's birth and I have also had some requests to tell about the birth experience I had. I had intended to do this much sooner, but apparently having two kids is harder than I thought it would be. :)

My due date was August 23, and I was set to be induced on August 25 if she hadn't come. For three weeks I had been dilated to a 2, and really didn't think she was going to come on her own.

On Saturday (the 23rd) we had gone to a friend's birthday party, run errands and rented a movie. We went to bed that night and around 2:00 in the morning I started having contractions about 10 minutes apart. I wasn't sure if I should go to he hospital, but after talking to my mom I figured I should since I would have to wait for David and Leda to come over to watch Jackson and the 30 minute drive to the hospital. I was stilla little reluctant because I knew the moment I got there the contractions would stop, they would send me home, and in less than 24 hours I would be back to be induced.

They hooked me up to a monitor, my contractions slowed down and I had not dilated any more. The nurse called my doctor and he wanted to send me home but said for me to walk for an hour and see if I made any progress. If I did, they would check me in. So, to my disbelief, I walked for an hour, and my contractions started being one on top of the other and I dilated 3 more centimeters... all by myself... no pitocin!!!

I won't go into all the details, but my labor and delivery were WONDERFUL compared to last time. I definitely reccomend (at least for myself) going into labor on my own and not being induced. It was a better experience.

I was in my delivery room around 9:00 am and Missy May was born at 1:26. My mom has always called me Missy May, and now I have one! :)

The only compaint I have is that even when I have little peanut babies I had two third degree lateral tears and an epesiotomy. Maybe I push too fast and too hard. I only pushed through three contractions, and here she was.

All I have to say is thank goodness for epidurals!!!!!!

My doctor was wonderful and said that it is evn better for him when the patient has an epidural because everyone remains so much more calm and everyone can enjoy the experience. Amen to that!



Me, with Cameron and mom after the epidural :)



My beautiful girl



Leaving the hospital

Picking up Jackson from his wonderful Uncle Dabid and Aunt Leda's house to go home!


I am so grateful to everyone who has helped me make this transition from mother of one to mother of two. Unfortunately, I have been struggling with some post-partum depression again despite the fact that I didn't think I would this time. I know that this hard time will pass. I love being a mom, and I know that having a chold like Jackson has only helped me love being a mom. I love my children so much and I feel so blessed to have them in my life.

1 comment:

pagefamily said...

Courtney! No one looks that gorgeous after giving birth-- But you do! She is so beautiful, just like her mama.
Congratulations!