Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pop

After a few requests I am taking Shannon's advice and blogging about the night that Cameron and I got engaged...

Let me start by saying that before we got engaged, we talked about it alot. We knew when we were going to get married, I knew which ring he was going to give me, so as my birthday approached, we discussed that we get engaged on my birthday (October 1) so as to get married in early January (the 3rd).

So, my birthday came, and was excited, yet nervous. We went to dinner at Kabuto (my most favorite restaurant... yumm-o) and were the first at our table to be seated. As we sat there alone, Cameron took out a small box and asked me if I wanted to open my birthday present. Ok, Courtney, breathe. I open the box, shaking to death, and there is a small blue Tiffany bag with a ring in it... a plain silver band ring that I had pointed out when we had gone on vacation me... NOT and engagement ring. I smailed graciously and thanked him, not wanting to show him my dissapointment.

As dinner progressed, I got increasingly more upset, I hardly ate, I hardly talked... apparently feeding in all too well to Cameron's plan for the evening. I told him that if he told the waitress it was my birthday, I would kill him. Well, she saw me open my present and put two and two together which meant that I got to stand up and do the chicken dance in front of the whole restaurant while they sang to me. I was so pissed off!!!

Once we got in the car, Cameron started talking about how he knew I was dissapointed, but he hadn't been able to get the ring... he wanted to make sure that everything was perfect, blah, blah, blah. Then he threw out the phrase that almost made me lose my mind... "maybe we can just get you a promise ring for now..." A freakin' promise ring, are you kidding me?! at this point, I had had enough. I let him know exactly what I thought. How could he do this to me...We had talked about it... we had planned it... me and mom and an appointment to look at Wedding cakes that weekend that I was going to have to cancel... what a mean thing to do to me, and on and on and on.

We got back to my house, and since I told peolpe I was going to get engaged, there were several people that had called me. David told me who had called and I told him (in a very ugly tone) that there was nothing to tell, nothing had happened. David didn't know what to say and just kept asking me what happened. I was so mad that I just said, "well I got a ring, but not the ring." Cameron showed David the ring and kept trying to tell David it was such a nice ring and I could tell David was like, "what?!" Then it happened... Cameron said... "that is a nice ring, but not as nice as this one" and then he was on his knee and asked me to marry him, holding out my beautiful engagement ring. I said, "yes, and I'm sorry I've been such a B**** all night." I felt terrible until Cameron said that he was going to give my real ring right after he'd given me my "present" except that I'd gotten so mad that he wanted tp make me sweat it out. So he was being mean. Looking back, it was so funny, but in the middle of it, I was so mad and dissapointed. But it all worked out, ans everything else wen as planned!!!

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I remember hearing this story... even better the second time around. Those Howard's... can't live with them...can't live without them!!!

Shannon said...

This story sounds vaguely familiar but I was probably so jealous of your upcoming marriage the first time I heard it that I blocked half of it out. :) That sounds like Cameron, for sure! What a meanie, but it turned out so cute!