Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cake, Cake, Cake

So, I LOVE cake, and I love making cakes, so I decided to take a cake decorating class.
It's been really fun, and I've gotten to eat alot of cake. :)

It was a month long class... two hours every Tuesday. I made three practice cakes, so they are not big, pretty cakes, just enough to practice designs, etc.

The first cake we learned how to do pattern transfers. My cake was really smooth, so my teacher decided to make an example of me. She tranferred a rainbow pattern on my cake... not what I would have chosen, but it turned out pretty well.

and it was yummy!

The second week we learned how to make roses...

So, I've always more of a cake person, and less of an icing person, but since I started this class, and got a fantastic buttercream icing recipe... definintely an icing person now!

Now to my final cake... I was really excited, because I had a really simple and cute idea. The minute I started icing my cake, I realized that my icing was too thin, but decided to not worry about it too much. Well, I've become such a perfectionist about my smooth icing and it wasn't going well. I was getting frustrated and I ended up with way too much icing, so I had to start again. Thats one time iced.

I ice it again, and because the icing was thin, and I used hot water on my spatula to smooth the icing, my cake was really wet, so I positioned it under the box fan I have in my room, so it would set faster. Thats two times iced. I go into my room later, and apparently, this was the day that my fan decided to break, and the fan was resting on top of my cake.

I was about to throw in the towel and not go to class, but decided to ice it one more time. I did, put it in my cake container, and put it up on the counter. Thats THREE times iced.

I take another shower, because I'm covered in icing, and when I come back out into the living room, Jackson is in the kitchen and said, "no, mom, you go away." I knew that couldn't be a good sign. I walked into the kitchen, and my cake container is open and on the floor with a fork stuck in it with big bites taken out, and ...

Caroline literally on top of the cake and up to her elbows in icing. I truly was not meant to make my cake. I laughed, and did what I had to do...

A girl after my mom's heart. :)

...I got a fork, sat down on the kitchen floor, and ate cake! I had to laugh, or else I would cry.

I called my friend Royale, who is taking the class with me, and told her I didn't have a cake, and she told me she had an extra cake she had iced that she would bring for me.
I showed my teacher these pictures, and she wants me to bring one in for her to put on the wall in her classroom.
Needless to say, it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, but all things considered, atleast I got to go to class and decorate a cake.

My great-grandma, who I never met, made cakes for a living. Taking this class has made me think alot about her. And I know it sounds silly, but it has made me feel closer to her as well. I never knew her, but I feel like now I understand a little more about her.

I had so much fun doing this, and can't wait for course 2

12 comments:

Ryan and Rachel said...

What a fun class to take! That's something I've thought of doing. and kudos to you on laughing instead of crying!! Your cakes are beautiful!

SD and EJ said...

That is seriously so cute and so funny! What a lucky girl that she doesn't have to wait until her first birthday to eat cake! And you are way talented!

stephanie howard said...

How fun, I quess all of the Howard crew will be making cakes. Not fair that there is so much talent in one family!

Brittany said...

Ok the cakes are great but really I died when I saw it on the floor devoured by Caroline. She is so sweet and how could you help but not get down and eat with her curte self!!!

Sawyers Family said...

Those cakes are awesome! I can't wait to take the class myself. And I probably would have cried! I guess I should take a lesson from you on how to just go with the flow! Caroline is so darn cute and covered in frosting, she's even cuter!

Dalene Howard said...

when Cameron came over he told us of your afternoon but I have to tell you the pictures add so much to the story. Thank you for being such a wonderful momand you are right Sometimes laughter is absolutly the BEST thing to do. love you Dalene

Kim said...

Oh Courtney, the tales you have to tell. Not only are the cakes so pretty (I don't know why you don't weigh 200 pounds?) but the pictures of Caroline are priceless. I just want to eat her up! ;o)

Love, Auntie Kimmy

Leda Johnson said...

That is hilarious! You are such a good mom to just laugh when all goes to pieces!

Marti Family said...

Oh I laughed so hard! My husband thought the pics of Caroline were too cute!!! Can't blame the girl for going for it! :)

Shannon said...

My mom told me about this on the phone today so I had to check it out (it's been too long since I checked your blog, anyway)- it's funnier when you actually see the pictures. It's so funny Jackson was trying to stop you from seeing it!

Wendi said...

Reason # 5608 to have a blog.
Things happen.
Things that are blog worthy.
This was definitely blog worthy.
And the photos...priceless!

Papa said...

Loved it, loved it, loved it !

Your great grandma would be SOOO proud! She was truly a great cake baker; wedding, birthday, casual, Christmas, etc. I remember one Christmas when she made 52 cakes for people the week before/of Christmas. Our living room looked liked the showroom of a bakery!

Keep up the good work....and always laugh instead of getting angry.

Love ya, Papa 'n Grandma